Safety Instrumented Systems Consultation
R&M’s resident experts are able to supply a Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) consultation service, tailored to our customers individual needs and ensuring compliance with IEC 61511 standards and best practises.
IEC 61511 is a technical standard which sets out practices in the engineering of systems that ensure the safety of an industrial process through the use of instrumentation. Such systems are referred to as Safety Instrumented Systems.
The relationship between hazards and Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) that automatically shut down processes operations, when an abnormal situation is encountered needs to be determined and verified through a life-cycle management process.
Thus SIS will represent an integral part of a SMS (safety management system) to reduce the risk of accident hazards or mitigate the consequences.
R&M’s team of experts offer consultation and can manage and support the development of the following framework requirements of IEC61508 and IEC61511 to demonstrate a route to functional safety compliance:
- Hazards are identified
- The likelihood of occurrence is determined
- Consequences are assessed
- Safety critical elements protecting persons from hazards are identified
- Risks are kept as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP)
- Design is appropriate
- There is an audit trail for the decision making process
- Modifications/changes are properly designed and controlled
- Operations do not compromise integrity
- Performance standards are set
- Operation against performance standards are verified
- The integrity of the facility is maintained throughout its life-cycle
- Performance is reviewed and modifications made where necessary
- Safety critical roles are identified
- People in safety critical roles are assessed as competent to perform those roles and
- Emergency planning
Consultation takes the form of site visits and in-depth analysis of our customers current arrangements followed by an in-depth report on any gaps and recommendations for future compliance.
Our service can also include helping to develop and manage, in partnership with our client, a management system to ensure the standards best practise recommendations are achieved.
Please contact us for further information.